March is National Nutrition Month! This annual event sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics raises awareness on the importance of healthy eating and physical activity. This year’s theme is “Put Your Best Fork Forward,” and is aimed at helping individuals gain a fresh perspective on making healthy food choices each and every day. Tyler Wellcare is always available to help residents in Greater Tyler, Texas lose weight while establishing healthy eating habits with the HCG medical weight loss program.
Healthy Eating Tips for National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month is the ideal time of year to start developing healthy eating habits, or get back on track if you fell off the wagon. Here are some evidence-based practices you can implement today to help “Put Your Best Fork Forward.”
- Track food intake– Tracking food intake is a key step in developing healthy eating habits. By tracking what you eat each and every day, you can look back and evaluate where you went wrong – skipping meals, too many snacks or unbalanced meals.
- Choose a healthy option at restaurants- Eating away from home does not have to undermine your healthy eating habits. Healthcare professionals always recommend planning ahead by looking at a menu in advance. Another important item to consider is how much you eat. If you are planning dinner at a nice restaurant, eat smaller meals throughout the day.
- Don’t skip breakfast, and fill up on protein- It is easy to skip breakfast some mornings while juggling car pool, phone calls and getting ready for work. But the old saying is true – breakfast is the most important meal of the day. By choosing a breakfast that is high in protein, the body’s sugar levels will remain stabilized while reducing hunger and food intake throughout the day.
- Eat balanced snacks and meals- During National Nutrition Month, everyone should eat more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, proteins, oils and fat-free or low-fat dairy products. By changing eating habits for only a few weeks, many individuals find it easy to maintain healthy eating habits long-term.
- Develop mindful eating strategies- Mindful eating strategies help many individuals slow down the pace of eating and remove distractions. Overeating is often caused by simple distractions such as watching TV or talking on the phone, as well as uncontrolled portion sizes. Turning off all electronics during meal time and using smaller plates can make a big difference for many.
Individuals in East Texas looking to lose weight and develop healthy eating habits are encouraged to consider the HCG medical weight loss program. Used in the 1950s by a British Physician, Dr. A.T.W. Simeons, for the treatment of obesity disorders, this medical weight loss program is enjoying a recent rise in popularity. With the help of Tyler Wellcare, HCG injections and a restricted diet, you can now effectively lose weight without resorting to constant yo-yo diets.
For more resources on National Nutrition Month, or to learn more about healthy eating habits and the HCG medical weight loss program, please contact the Tyler, Texas office of Tyler Wellcare.