The first Wednesday of every April is dedicated as National Walking Day. Because physical activity is so beneficial, the American Heart Association encourages individuals to ‘Move More in April.’ One of the easiest (and cheapest) forms of exercise is walking. Walking does not require a gym membership, expensive equipment or special clothes. Walking is as simple as going outside and exploring the neighborhood or finding a new trail at a park in the Tyler, Texas area. Numerous studies have found that only 30 minutes each day can provide numerous health benefits. Tyler Wellcare is here to share some of the most incredible walking benefits.
An Overview on Walking for Physical Activity
If a person is relatively new to exercise, or are coming back from an injury, walking is easy to start and low-risk. All they need are supportive shoes and comfortable clothes. We recommend layering clothes, if possible, since the body’s temperature will increase the longer and faster an individual walks. To begin, focus on the correct posture, start with short distances and breathe deeply. Over time individuals can pick up their pace and distance for even more walking benefits.
A regular walking program is great for the body and mind and can be achieved in as little as 30 minutes per day.
Going for regular walks is one of the best things for the body, as well as the mind. Some healthcare professionals believe walking is the best form of physical activity since it is easy to perform and easy on the body’s joints.
With just 30 minutes each day, individuals can achieve these walking benefits:
- Lose weight and/or body fat- Walking is an easy way to lose weight, but certain individuals may not see a big change on the scale, they may notice it in their pants. Regular walking can improve the body’s response to insulin, which helps reduce unwanted body fat.
- Decrease the risk of chronic health conditions- Walking on a regular basis improves cholesterol levels, lowers blood pressure and lowers blood sugar levels.
- Improved mood- Research has shown that regular walking modifies the nervous system so a person is at a lesser risk of anger and hostility.
- Prevent varicose veins- Unwanted varicose veins are part of the natural aging process for many women. Walking strengthens the body’s venous system by strengthening and preserving muscles in the legs, which creates a healthy blood flow and prevents varicose veins from forming.
- Increase energy and stamina- The more an individual walks, the stronger the body’s heart, lungs, soft tissues and joints become. With a stronger overall body, an individual will be able to go longer and faster in no time at all.
Continued physical activity and walking benefits include more than just weight loss. They keep the body active and strong, the mind at ease and help prevent chronic diseases.
For more information on physical activity and walking benefits, please contact the Tyler, Texas office of Tyler Wellcare.