An Overview on the Importance of Health and Fitness during National Women’s Health Week
National Women’s Health Week is now underway May 14-20, 2017. It is important all women in the Tyler, Texas area understand it is never too early or too late to become the healthiest version of yourself. No matter your age, there are simple health and fitness tips you can take today to take control of your health. As a leading wellcare provider in East Texas, Tyler Wellcare is available to help women lead a healthier and happier life.
National Women’s Health Week Overview
National Women’s Health Week is supported by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office on Women’s Health. The overall goal of this important week each May is to empower women of all ages to make health a top priority each and every day.
How can you take control of your health? Start with these simple items:
- Visit a physician for an annual exam
- Make fitness and healthy eating a priority
- Get enough sleep and manage stress
- Avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking or drinking in excess
Health and Fitness Tips for Every Age
No matter a woman’s age, it is still important she follows health and fitness guidelines to keep the body functioning at an optimal level.
What can you do to live a healthier life? Follow the health and fitness tips below for your age group:
- 20s and 30s– Eat a balanced diet, get at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, visit a physician each year, take 400-800mg of folic acid daily
- 40s– Same as in your 20s and 30s plus talk to your doctor about perimenopause
- 50s– Same as in your 20s and 30s plus discuss menopause symptoms and treatments with your physician
- 60s– Same as 20s and 30s plus talk to your physician about fall prevention
- 70s– Same as above plus ask your doctor if any chronic health condition hinders your ability to exercise 30 minutes each day
- 80s and 90s– Get 30 minutes of physical activity each day if still mobile, eat a balanced and healthy diet, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, visit a physician as needed, discuss who will make health decisions if you are no longer able to with your doctor
Top Fitness Tips to Help You Reach Your Goals
Whether you are starting a new workout during National Women’s Health Week or are an exercise enthusiast, follow these fitness tips to help get even healthier, leaner and stronger.
- Have fun while exercising
- Use positive self-talk to boost your motivation
- Break up your workout into smaller time slots if you dislike exercising for an extended period of time, or do not have time for one long workout
- Stretch every day
- Pair cardio and strength training
- Challenge yourself to the next level
For more information on the importance of health and fitness during National Women’s Health Week, please contact the Tyler, Texas office of Tyler Wellcare.