Healthy Aging Month
A healthy lifestyle is important for all ages of residents in the East Texas area. Maintaining your health throughout the years can help prevent many serious health complications such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure. Eliminating bad habits and adopting healthier ones can create a number of health benefits in a short amount of time. Because eliminating lifelong habits can be difficult, and the body continues to change as it ages, September is designated as Healthy Aging Month to help motivate and bring awareness of aging myths. Tyler Wellcare is here to share how adults can improve their physical, mental and social well-being.
What is Healthy Aging Month?
Do you think it is too late to address bad habits? Do you feel you are putting on weight? Losing energy? Experiencing health conditions that are often preventable? Now is the time to take control during Healthy Aging Month.
Healthy Aging Month is designed to draw attention to the common myths of aging and help adults gain the courage to develop new and healthy habits. It is never too late in a person’s life to start something new or take control of their health. A healthy lifestyle is necessary at any age. Individuals over the age of 45 years can remain active and vibrant well into their senior years if they maintain their health.
Tips on how to Embrace a Healthy Lifestyle
- Quit smoking– Smoking is linked to not only lung cancer, but to heart disease and strokes.
- Get regular exercise– Daily physical activity is key to preventing heart disease, high blood pressure and obesity. It only takes 30 minutes each day to see health benefits.
- Watch your weight– Carrying too much weight for your height places strain on your body’s joints and heart.
- Follow a healthy diet– A balanced diet is one of the key items to remaining healthy as the body ages. Eat more nutrient-dense, high-fiber, protein-based foods and fewer processed and fatty foods.
- Watch out for back injuries– Lower back pain is a leading cause of chronic pain around the world. Protect your back by maintaining a healthy weight, stretching and properly lifting items.
- Visit your doctor regularly– Yearly checkups are vital, even if you are not sick. Your healthcare provider is able to tell you any potential health problems, as well as tell you which screenings and immunizations you require.
A healthy lifestyle is more than just visiting your doctor annually, losing weight and eating healthy. It is also important to focus on mental and social health. Begin these new habits during Healthy Aging Month:
- Stay positive in all actions and conversations
- Eliminate negative friends that bring you down
- Smile and stand up straight
- Take a new art class, join a community group or pick up a new hobby
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Read a book or watch your favorite TV program
If you live in the East Texas area and would like to start a new healthy lifestyle during Healthy Aging Month, contact the Tyler Wellcare office today to learn more about our wellcare services.