February is American Heart Month
American Heart Month is here! The month of February is an ideal time to remind residents living in the Tyler, Texas communities to focus on heart health and to make healthy living choices. Tyler Wellcare is dedicated to helping both men and women in the East Texas area remain healthy and happy. Because of this, we want to take the time to discuss the importance of cardiovascular health, exercise and proper food choices.
Cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke, is the leading cause of death each year in the United States. The American Heart Association reports the number to be more than 17.9 million deaths, with that number expected to rise to more than 23.6 annual deaths by 2030. Fortunately, we can all take small steps and make healthy living choices on a daily basis to help eliminate our risk.
Physical activity is one of the most important items for overall health and wellbeing, no matter a person’s age. Exercise is known to be a natural mood lifter and helps keep the doctor away because it helps individuals stay mobile and at a healthy weight. Remaining active throughout life has many health benefits, including:
- Controls weight
- Prevents bone loss
- Lowers blood pressure
- Boosts good cholesterol levels
- Improves blood flow
Healthy Living Steps to Take this February
East Texas residents should make an effort to begin healthy living this American Heart Month and continue throughout 2018 and beyond. Do you need a good starting place? Do you need to increase your heart health? Try these simple steps:
- Catch up on all routine doctor visits
- Evaluate your physical activity level and adjust if necessary
- Determine your body mass index (BMI) to confirm if your weight is putting you at increased health risks
- Check your mood and energy levels each day to determine if you are well-rested and emotionally healthy
- Spend extra time with family and friends, or engage in your favorite hobbies more often
- Stop smoking, as well as drinking alcohol in excess
- Follow a heart healthy diet that is balanced and nutritious
If you are one of the countless people who struggle with their weight and healthy eating, contact the Tyler Wellcare team to discuss the HCG medical weight loss program. This weight loss program is administered and monitored by Dr. Janine Islam, and many patients have been able to lose weight and keep it off long-term.
For more information on the importance of healthy living and heart health during American Heart Month, or to learn more about the HCG medical weight loss program, please contact the office of Tyler Wellcare.