March is National Nutrition Month!
Every March, the United States celebrates National Nutrition Month in an effort to help raise awareness of the importance of health and nutrition. Almost every individual in the Tyler, Texas area has an opinion on what healthy meals contain and how healthy eating can promote weight loss and overall physical well-being. While most people know what a healthy meal is and how it should be prepared, many do not always follow the guidelines. Tyler Wellcare is here to share how taking a positive approach to food while eating a variety from each of the MyPlate food groups can make people of all ages look and feel great.
Building Healthy Meals with MyPlate Food Groups
What is MyPlate? MyPlate is a reminder to find a healthy eating style and build it throughout an entire lifetime. The right mix of MyPlate food groups can help any person become healthier today and in the future.
The five main MyPlate food groups contain dairy, grains, protein, fruits and vegetables. All of these items provide a number of health and nutrition benefits.
The MyPlate campaign is designed to help individuals:
- Focus on variety, amount and nutrition when it comes to healthy meals and snacks, as well as beverages. Eat a VARIETY of the five food groups, eat the right AMOUNT of calories for your body and build a healthy, NUTRITION-based eating style that promotes weight loss and helps maintain a healthy weight long-term.
- Choose beverages and foods that are low in saturated fat, sodium and added sugars.
- Start with small changes that are easy to maintain in order to build a healthier eating pattern.
- Support healthy meals, weight loss and overall health and nutrition for everyone, including family, friends and co-workers.
Simple Health and Nutrition Tips for Weight Loss and Physical Well-Being
Good nutrition is the backbone to a healthy lifestyle. People of all ages are able to improve their well-being by eating healthy meals and following simple lifestyle choices each and every day.
What lifestyle choices can a person make to improve their health, lose weight and keep it off? Here are simple tricks anyone can try during National Nutrition Month and beyond:
- Find the strong and weak parts of a daily diet and make small changes each day to improve the weak parts.
- Keep track of daily food intake in a food journal. A record helps assess a diet.
- Cut back on unhealthy fats and large portions.
- Stay hydrated by drinking low calorie drinks and plenty of water.
- Only take vitamins a physician recommends.
- Maintain a regular exercise program.
Health and nutrition are not important just during National Nutrition Month. The team at Tyler Wellcare encourages all Tyler, Texas area residents to eat healthy meals and exercise all year. Do you need help with weight loss and starting a balanced diet? Contact us today to learn more about the HCG medical weight loss program administered by Dr. Janine Islam.